Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I'm Back

I'm finally back from my visit with relatives in The Middle of Nowhere. Now, I don't have any medical evidence for this, but in the last four days I have formed the hypothesis that being in the presence of old people for an extended length of time, coupled with being located in Booniesville, Nowhere has something of a sedative effect. I think I took more naps in the last four days than I did all last semester (which is actually saying something).

I mean, don't get me wrong, I do enjoy visiting with my family, so long as they don't talk about politics (that side is ALL liberal). Talking with them about anything-but-politics is always enjoyable, but we can't talk all day long, and they aren't up for anything much more active. Which leads to lots of daytime television. Which leads to lots of naps.

Anyway, it's pretty late, so I'm going to do a quick roundup of some of the stories that have come up in the last few days. A bit hat tip goes to Right Wing News, which is where I'm pulling several of these links from. Others will come from a quick perusal of news sites.

Conservatives win Canada! There may be hope for out northern neighbors after all...

More on Canada- New Leader wants to mend ties with the US

President Bush: "It's amazing to me that people say, well he's just breaking the law. If I wanted to break the law, why was I briefing Congress?"

Michael Moore Opens His Mouth and Crap Comes Out (Again)

I will definitely be commenting more about this one tomorrow.
Pics of Abramoff With Bush Prove Nothing


Just because Abramoff had a couple grip-and-grins with the President doesn't mean they're old buddies. I have a signed picture of myself with Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert, but that doesn't mean he knows me, or that he should be connected with anything I might do wrong.

Palestinian election still too close to call (could Hamas win control?)

Majority of Senators Support Alito


I think this will wind up very close to a party line vote. I think deep down the Democrats don't want to filibuster someone who is so qualified, and who was very open during the hearings. At the same time, they can't afford to vote to confirm him, and then getting hit with the backlash from their base if he ends up being a vote against Roe. It seems to me like we'll hear lots of moaning and dire predictions, but when push comes to shove the Democrats will not fight an up or down vote.

CDC Chief: Bird Flu "Not Media Hype"


That's all for now. I'll go over some of these in more detail tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home